3/23/13. Murphy’s Inn, Cornwall, ON. Back after a month off, CWA returns with “Raising The Bar”. This is probably the last show CWA will have at Murphy’s Inn. What a dump! They haven’t cleaned that place since the last time I was there. The brilliant owners of that hole booked the upstairs for a “sweet sixteen” party so there goes the dressing room, the PA and speakers etc. The guys had to change behind the walls down by the ring…sad. With the PA system being used, the ring announcer, Leo Frost, had to raise his voice so we could hear him over the dance music from the party. What a joke. Microphone or not, he did a splendid job indeed. The same goes for the rest of the crew…they put on a great show! We saw the return of a well missed wrestler(by me anyway!) along with some debuts. Let’s get to the matches!
CWA General Manager, Alexander Black, let’s us all know that due to Paul Rosenberg trying to overrule his decisions at the last show, if he loses this match, he loses all his stroke around CWA.
- CJ Felony beat Paul Rosenberg. The return of Felony after suffering a broken foot. I like this guy and I was glad to see him get back in the ring. The original opponent for Rosenberg was supposed to be Coleman but he couldn’t make it. Anyway, this was a very good opening match with both men really taking it to each other. Felony gets the pin and Rosenberg gets called all sorts of different names by the crowd. Welcome back CJ!
- XPlicit def. Genesis, Karl Jepson, & Carlos Gonzales. Four way dance introducing two new faces for CWA, Jepson and Gonzales. Jepson is a big man, the strongest in the ring, and Gonzales was all over the place! Very good outing with lots of action which can be expected for a 4 way match. I like XPlicit and I’m glad to see him wrestling here on a regular schedule again. Good job guys!
Somewhere during the card, Paul Rosenberg came out and tried to bully Alexander Black into giving him full reign. He introduced Heretik and Genesis. Heretik grabbed Black and Genesis tried unsuccessfully to clothesline him as Heretik ended up taking the clothesline. Black didn’t waste any time in getting out of there after that. Can you blame him?
- Ruffy Silverstein beat Tomer Shalom. You can’t get much better than Ruffy when it comes to wrestling. Makes sense as he was trained at the Hart Family Dungeon. He wrestled for Stampede and also was part of Team Canada in TNA when they first appeared. Tomer is always fun to watch in the ring. These two put on a very good match. Impressed as always. One thing I thought was kind of cool was Ruffy untying Tomer’s boots during the bout. That’s definitely an innovative way to get your opponent to make a mistake. During this match, a returning Anthony Fiasco came out and laid out Tomer’s manager, Ronnie Gaffe. I guess that would be a quick way to get into the TV Title picture! Bully!
- “Dirty” Buxx Belmar def. Travis Toxic. In this “Anything goes” match, they lived up to the title! These guys were brawling everywhere in the building! I was hoping they would break into the birthday party but that didn’t happen. Anyway, I like both of these guys so I knew this would be the match if the night…it was. Toxic was doing moonsaults off of the bar onto Buxx. Suplexes on the chairs in the (tiny) crowd, I’m talking they laid it all out. One funny moment came when Toxic whipped Buxx into some unused pizza boxes and one of the owners of that dump yelled “Hey!” and started toward them. Hahahaha! What are you gonna do? Hahahaha! Anyway, Buxx earned his nickname at one point by taking a condom out of his pocket and putting it over some fingers and hitting Toxic with it. Pure, unadulterated mayhem. I loved this match!
- John Greed def. Hornet, Anthony Fiasco, & Buck Gunderson. This was a 4 way match with Texas Tornado rules to determine the new #1 Contender to the CWA Heavyweight Title. See? I told you Greed was the man! Strait forward outing with the best man winning. That’s all you need to know about this one! Well, except the fact that Gunderson needs to rip off Mr. Anderson’s gimmick and say GUNDERSON!! twice. Like they’ll send a cease and desist letter?!
- Rob Rage beat Jeremy Prophet. After being CWA Heavyweight Champion for 3 1/2 years, Prophet finally meets his match…or Rage got lucky and pulled it off…however you want to look at it. I thought for sure Prophet was going to get yet another win…goes to show you anything can happen in professional wrestling! These guys know each other well in the ring by now so they had another back and forth match even though one of Prophet’s lackeys(Heretik) was interfering. Prophet is really good but tonight was Rage’s night. Your winner and new CWA Heavyweight Champion…Rob Rage! If you don’t know…now you know. After the match as Rage was celebrating, he was attacked and laid out by the new #1 Contender John Greed! He held up the belt and said “That’s mine”. Yes sir, it is.
Besides the fact that Murphy’s Inn is a dump and the little bit of fans that actually attend are borderline comatose, this was a very good show. There wasn’t a dud match the entire night. Congrats go to John Greed for a well deserved win! Looking forward to the next event in a new venue!