1/5/13. Murphy’s Inn, Cornwall, ON. This was CWA‘s 6th Anniversary show. Pretty impressive for any Indy fed to make it 6 years! A decent outing considering it was riddled with technical difficulties and (ahem)miscommunication. The crowd was small as usual but the kids were pretty loud. Some new faces in the seats and some in the ring. Here are the results:
- Paul Rosenburg def. Cheeky. This was a good opening contest featuring The Incredible Hunks’ Cheeky in singles competition. Nothing outstanding but who needs that in every match? I don’t want a match full of high spots and finishers that don’t mean anything.
- X-Plicit def. Simon Eastman and Fred Beretta. Very good 3 way featuring the return of X-Plicit after a brief hiatus(behind the scenes tension a while back) and two debuts. Usual format for a 3 way. The heels ganging up on the face and the breakdown of the alliance. Nice job on all parts though. The ending was a little uncertain and a little flat due to an injury to Eastman.
- John Greed beat Sgt. Ric Sniper. I like John Greed. I hope he gets a title shot soon. Did I mention I like John Greed?
- CWA ITV Title: Sexxxy Eddy def. Tomer Shalom(C) by DQ. This gets my vote for match of the night. Tomer started off by calling out “Eddy! Eddy!” like the last time they were slated to compete with each other(Eddy was injured). I get a kick out of this. I’m not sure why, but I do. Anyway, really entertaining and well done. I wouldn’t expect anything less from these men. Tomer was in rare form as he belittled the fans including a little kid that he told “You’re fat!” and yours truly that had his Yankees cap taken off and thrown on the floor. Classic heel! The ending was brought about after the referee was hit by the belt but saw Eddy holding it. Then the match was restarted and this is where some of the miscommunication comes into play. Very good match nevertheless. (On a side note, I talked to Eddy about his time in CZW including his “garbage can moonsault” and his “severed artery”. Wow.)
- Jewells Malone def. Serphantina. Always nice to have a ladies match when the ladies actually know how to wrestle. This was my first time seeing Serphantina and I was impressed. Jewells always does a great job and certainly didn’t fall short this night. After the match, Serphantina put a snake on top of Jewells as she was laid out. Screams and fleeing resulted from it. Girls!
- Buck Gunderson & The Green Phantom beat Genesis & Heretik in a hardcore match. This was supposed to be Gunderson & Phantom vs. Bad Karma but they couldn’t make it. Hey, “Card Subject To Change”. This was a great brawl that went around the whole room with guys being thrown through rows of chairs and hit with everything that wasn’t nailed down. I could see the owners of the building getting nervous as the wrestlers grabbed a ladder and even the pizza flipper(whatever you call it). Good stuff!
- CWA Heavyweight Title Match: “The Prophet” Jeremy Barnoff vs. Rob Rage ended with Barnoff retaining the title. This match was very good but ended in controversy after many decisions being overruled by the General Manager Alexander Black and the son of the original owner that is now the financial backer blah blah blah. In other words I didn’t know what was going on and I just hung my head. Prophet had Rage in a choke hold forcing him to tap but at the same time the referee, recovering from a knock down, made the three count on Barnoff. Whatever. The next event has a rematch between the two. Hopefully it just involves Prophet and Rage.
I had a good time but I just wish that CWA management could get on the same page. Wrestling should be entertaining and fans should leave happy. Not confused. Oh well. We’ll see what happens in the future.