Saturday, July 6, 2013. Williamstown, ON. Canadian Grand Prix Wrestling and Mecca Pro Wrestling combine forces to give us a fine night of live professional wrestling! I guess it had been 30 years since there was a live event in Williamstown, Ontario. I didn’t even know there was a Williamstown, Ontario. Either way venue was the perfect size for wrestling. No hitting of heads on the ceiling and no worrying about flying into the 3rd row from the ring! Not that I mind that.
For those unfamiliar with CGPW & MPW, they are two Indy feds in Ontario that always put on a fine, family friendly event. This was the case last night. No talking and no BS…just wrestling. One major change to the card occurred early enough, the CGPW Heavyweight Champion “The Rage” Randy Berry was stripped of the title because of an ongoing problem with an injury. Speaking of injuries, his scheduled opponent for the night was supposed to be Maximus Primal but he also bowed out due to suffering an injury. This led CGPW General Manager Joe Dunlap to book a 15 Man (actually 14 Man + 1 Woman) Battle Royal to determine the new CGPW Heavyweight Champ. Here are the results:
- Derric Hamilton def. Decker “The Axeman” Leduc. I’ve always appreciated Hamilton’s work in the ring whether he wanted me to or not and I’m one of the only people in the crowd to call Hamilton’s gear a kilt and not a dress! I’ve also decided that Leduc needs to lose the lumberjack gimmick and put on a black suit, sunglasses and a hat. He could then change his name to Big Bubba Jr. That’s just what I think. Good opening match.
- “Magic” Mario Bryant beat Ray Static. There was no question as to which one was the bad guy in this match. Ray is loved by all the kids and the ladies in the crowd. Personally, I prefer Bryant! Although, I did slap hands with Ray even though he thought I’d pull mine away…hey, I’m not a bad guy! I can’t remember much else from this as I believe we started a 4 man “Wave” during it! The right man won. There.
- Canadian Justice def. Catalyst. Going back to when my friends and I started this fan “gang” known as the Heel Fan Mafia (cheer the bad guys, boo the good guys) we pinpointed one man to take most of our abuse. This man is Canadian Justice. The HFM has pretty much called it a day but we still have to bust on poor old Justice. We used to chant “I Smell Bacon!” and the ever “Where’s My Bacon?…Justice Ate It!!” You know, a throw back to the old ECW chants…with a twist. One fun thing that I do when Justice comes out is aim my camera at us instead of him and take a pic…this night wasn’t any different. Anyway, he really isn’t a bad wrestler as he proved by pulling out some new moves including a spine buster that would make Arn Anderson proud! Catalyst is from the very heavily populated “Parts Unknown” and just once I’d like to go there! Good win for Justice…that bum!
- The Incredible Hunks def. Jeff Fury & KL Shock. The MPW Tag Team Champions easily defeat another challenge to their gold. Okay, it wasn’t that easy. The pretty boys put up a good fight but just being cute doesn’t beat tag team specialists like the Hunks! Great team!
- Persephone Vice destroyed Crimson X. Vice had issued an open challenge to any wrestler, female or male, that had the guts to get in the ring with her. Apparently Crimson X had the guts. That didn’t help him though as Persephone beat him senseless. When I say senseless, I mean the referee actually threw him over his shoulder and carried him out after the match!
- American Barbarian def. Dave Titan. The MPW Heavyweight Champion Barbarian executed a hard hitting title defense against the big man! These guys just beat each other up. Period. Dave Titan is a beast but not enough to win the belt…this night. I’m sure he’ll receive another title shot in the future. Good match!
- Battle Royal: All the wrestlers that appeared on the card were in this to determine the new CGPW Heavyweight Champion. Usual battle royal…people throwing other people over the top rope. I thought for sure Persephone Vice would win! I was wrong. YOU’RE WINNER AND NEWWWWWWWWWWW(you know you’re reading this the way Howard Finkle would say it aren’t you?!) CGPW Heavyweight Champion…American Barbarian!!Now he’s both the MPW & CGPW Heavyweight Champion. Are they going to unify them or what? I guess we’ll find out soon enough.
A fine night of wrestling put on by our friends in CGPW & Mecca Pro! Looking forward to the next show…rumored to be next month! I’ll be there! By the way, here’s a couple random pics. If you took the time to read this you’ll know what they are! Also, a shot me with the Champ being photo-bombed by Tim.