11/9/13. Agora Catholic Center (Nativity Hall). Cornwall, ON. CGPW and MPW return with another joint effort with this being the first time in a new venue. Such an improvement over the other buildings. This was also a Live TV taping for TV COGECO(I asked what channel that was in the states but I didn’t get an answer!). There was a large crowd and actually it’s the most people I’ve seen at a show in Cornwall. Good for them! Here’s the results:
- “The Real” JJB def. Brad Montague. This was a fine opener to get the crowd ready for tv. JJB always does really well when I see him. He gets the crowd going and just knows how to put on a show. I’ve only seen Montague once prior to this and I wasn’t impressed. He did much better here. I’m glad for that. By the way, when did sunglasses replace things like robes or other accessories? On a side note the referee for this match was a new guy but he resembled former MPW wrestler Alex Odyssey although Odyssey was better at wrestling than this guy was at refereeing (I had to tell him to go back to the ring and raise JJB’s hand!)
- Bret MacLeod def. Crimson X. The first match of the tv taping in my opinion was too long. I’m sorry but the average wrestling fan doesn’t have a very long attention span and this wasn’t Ric Flair vs. Sting from 1988. I even yelled out, “bring it home boys!” But I’m just being picky here. Both of these guys did a fine job with Macleod getting the boos from the crowd…except from us…
- Decker Leduc beat Jeff Fury. Out comes the babyfaced prettyboy Jeff Fury! Please help us here Decker! Whatthahell? The Lumberjack shaved his beard off? Now who’s the babyface? Fury had some fine offense against the bigger man but it wasn’t good enough to get the win. Here’s some advice Fury…quit pandering to the humanoids(thanks Bobby Heenan!!) in the seats! Sheesh!
- Ray Steele def. Joey Valentyne. Here we had the return of V:I:P’s own Joey Valentyne! Just to lose to Ray Steele? Are you kidding me? Valentyne is part of the elite group in MPW and he loses to this guy? That’s pretty much what “The Rage” Randy Berry was saying when he tore him a new one stating he was sent away to get his crap together and now he has two strikes against him (I’m paraphrasing here). If Joey is as smart as I think he is we’ll see how he redeems himself later.
- Derric Hamilton beat KL Shock to retain the MPW Pound For Pound Championship. I always say this but I’m saying it again: I like Derric Hamilton. On the other hand, Shock came out wearing some really cool…sunglasses. What gives? Anyway, as soon as I got to the show I bought two Canadian Budweiser beers and proceeded to have a couple more so by this time I had to use the water closet. Needless to say I didn’t see much of this until Hamilton took his straps down and then I saw too much! I’m sure it was a fine match…at least there was a fine outcome! I don’t think Hamilton will ever lose the title.
- Payne “The Hellraiser” beat Canadian Justice in a No DQ Match. I think Payne could take over this whole organization by himself. There is no stopping this monster! Canadian Justice isn’t a slouch by any means but he just pales in comparison to Payne. Don’t get me wrong, Justice handled himself just fine including taking it out to the floor and even hitting him with a little kid! Alright, he used his own son to chop into him. That’s all well and good but Payne just obliterated him at the end. Then he gave the referee not one but two package piledrivers! Maybe we helped convince him to do it but I’m not taking the blame. Payne went on to say that he now owns the place. See? I told you!
- The Goat Brigade (Kirk Warmack & Shane Sabre) def. Cheeky & “Magic” Mario Bryant. One of the better matches of the night! A lot of teamwork during this from the Goat Brigade but to my knowledge this was the first time Cheeky and Bryant have ever teamed up. For those of you that don’t know, Cheeky usually teams with Deeno as The Incredible Hunks (who are the current MPW Tag Team Champions) and Bryant is more of a singles wrestler. I enjoyed this one. By the way, mighty fine facial hair boys!
- Thunder beat The Bee Machine. Some people in the crowd wanted to know if the Bee Machine is B. Brian Blair or “Jumping” Jim Brunzell. I guess they were showing their age with that one. Machine may look like the Killer Bees but he does just fine by himself. If there’s one man in this company that might stop Payne it would be Thunder. Man, that guy is big. I’m scared of him. Really. Thunder is known for his vicious chops to the chest but Bee Machine had a shirt on so I couldn’t tell if he was bleeding or not! Impressive win for Thunder.
- Damian Styles def. Randy Berry. Special Guest Referee:Persephone Vice! In case you haven’t been keeping track, there seems to be some dissension in the ranks of V:I:P. At the last event, Randy Berry and Persephone Vice got into it and she ended up ripping her V:I:P shirt off and throwing it down seemingly quitting the group. It was announced at a later time that Randy had apologized and everything was fine between them. The Berry-Styles feud has been going on for quite a while with no end in site as they went at each other like madmen. Vice was calling the action right down the middle (not really) and I thought for sure Randy had this one. That was until Joey Valentyne came down. He laid out Styles with a pair of “brass knuckles”. Good man Joey! Then he did the unthinkable and turned on Randy! Not a good man Joey! Vice made the three count. Afterward, General Manager Joe Dunlap came out and said that Randy needs to go back to the bottom of the list or a “curtain jerker” and make his way back up. Needless to say, Randy was furious. This led to yet another altercation with Vice. I believe this is the end of V:I:P version 2. My advice to Randy would be to make a few calls, one to MTH, one to “The Frenchise” Frank Couture and reform the originals along with their accomplice Rick Martel!! Do it Randy!
- Dave Titan def. American Barbarian to win the MPW Heavyweight Championship. These two aren’t strangers as they have faced each other before but not since July 6th so we’ve had to wait a while for the rematch. As with the match before, this one was no different…they beat each other up, plain and simple. They went at it in the ring and outside the ring. Always fun seeing a slug fest. During the match, Payne came down and DDT’d Titan on the small “stage” by the ring and threw him in to get pinned. No such luck. Titan ends up getting the win. In a fine show of sportsmanship, Barbarian raised the arm of the newly crowned champion. Fine ending to an exciting night of action. Congratulations to Dave Titan!
Another show for the record books by our friends at CGPW and Mecca Pro. I had a great time as usual and I’m glad they have such a cool new venue to host their shows. Some noteworthy appearances were the tag team of Total Devastation (CJ Felony & Catalyst) wanting my beer and the massive but very friendly Crusher Kline. I’m looking forward to the next event which is Saturday, Feb. 8, 2014. If you’re in the area go and check ’em out!