BTPW Presents Throwdown. Rideau Carleton Raceway. Ottawa,ON. This was my first BTPW show but it featured a lot of the same talent that I see all over Ontario so I knew I was in for at least a decent night. Guess what? They didn’t disappoint! Let me start by saying that the ticket had the doors open at 6:30 and the for the first time ever(for me anyway),the doors opened at 6:30 right on the dot. Unbelievable. The venue was a good size although a common problem with some Indy shows was also noticeable here…the ceiling was a little too low. It’s a good thing the ring was barely off the ground! Anyway, the action was solid and the crowd was really into it. Let’s get to the matches!
- Jeff Fury def. “Magic” Mario Bryant. I’ve seen both of these guys wrestle for other promotions and I’m always pleased with their matches. Although, I’d like to see Fury turn heel so he wouldn’t be such a pretty boy! Fast paced match which saw Fury get the win via submission. Very good opener that got the crowd hyped. Fury wins a shot at the winner of the Young Guns championship being held later in the card.
- Zeddy Breeze beat Frank “The Beast” Bradley. I know this shouldn’t make a difference in a match but Bradley had the worst ring gear I’ve ever seen in my life. It looked like Jimmy Snuka’s grandmother’s dress cut into a onesie…with Siva Afi’s grandmother’s shirt on top of it! I just couldn’t stop staring at it so all I know about the match is Zeddy got his first win in BTPW tonight. Congratulations Zeddy! Hey Beast…get some new tights!!
- Jodi D’Milo beat Jasmine Alareebi. I like Jodi as she makes a very good bad girl. Make sense? Anyway, the debuting Jasmine was quite the looker to say the least. I actually had to snap out of my trance and pay attention to the match. Pretty good women’s match with Jodi chopping Jasmine and just plain making her life miserable. Good showing for the newcomer but Jodi is just too mean! Jasmine is a very pretty girl but looks don’t win matches! Well, maybe in the WWE. After the match I yelled out, “I’d like to see a lot more of her!” Did I mention I think Jasmine is pretty? She’s pretty too.
- The G.O.A.T. Squad def. The Increbible Hunks. The Incredible Hunks are an excellent tag team. So much so, the ring announcer (“Super” Sam Dube) compared them to The Midnight Express! I’m a huge Midnight Express fan so I wasn’t quite sure how to take that. I like the Hunks and think they’re really talented but that might be a stretch. This was the debut of the newly teamed up Jack Rushton and Shane Sabre…the G.O.A.T. Squad. By the way,G.O.A.T. stands for “Greatest Of All Time” even though I thought they got the name because of the facial hair/Daniel Bryan “Goatface” connection. Whatever, I liked them. They cheated to win but like Bobby “The Brain” Heenan used to say,”Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!” Best match of the night so far.
- Mr. Atlantis def. Derric Hamilton. I’m used to cheering for Hamilton as a heel but he’s a face here. I still cheered for him. My first time seeing Atlantis and he did a fine powerslam on Hamilton for the win. I was especially pleased to see that finisher as I haven’t seen one in a long time. Nice.
- Joey Valentyne beat Cecil Nyx. Valentyne becomes the new Young Guns Champion. Joey makes a good heel so I’m glad he turned months ago. Cecil is always entertaining although he didn’t kiss my forehead tonight! He did however jump up into my arms, nearly breaking my junk back! Entertaining match which saw Joey get the win following the Ace Crusher. Congratulations Champ!! OK, here’s another problem I have…the Young Guns Championship is this humongous trophy. Why? It’s bigger than the wrestlers! Why? Get rid of that thing and buy a belt! I’ll be OK.
- MVP(Michael Von Payton) def. King Adea. This was supposed to be MVP vs. Drake Styles in match #3 of a Best of 5 with MVP leading 2-0 but Drake no-showed giving MVP the win and therefore he is the winner of the best of 5 series. MVP’s manager, Mr. Know It All, hand picked an opponent for him…King Adea. MVP is one of the best(just ask Jay Lethal!) so I enjoyed this match. A lot of interference during the match my Mr. KIA. So much so that a really old lady kept trying to hit him with her purse! Now that’s heel heat!! Hahahahaha! Decent job by Africa’s own King Adea but not good enough. MVP! MVP! MVP!
- “The Rage” Randy Berry beat Weapon X. Always a pleasure to see my friend and leader of V:I:P, Randy Berry doing what he does best…kicking ass in the ring and bad mouthing the crowd. Great bad guy! My first time seeing Weapon X and he was pretty impressive. However, not impressive enough to kick out after a Death Valley Driver! Decisive win on the part of the returning Rage! Welcome back, brother!
Damien Styles def. Ruffy Silverstein by DQ. I can’t say enough good things about Ruffy Silverstein. Part of Team Canada in TNA back in the beginning for good reason…he can get it done in the ring. This went back and forth here until Randy Berry interfered and he and Ruffy put a pounding on Damien. The crowd was a little confused as MVP jumped into the ring. I thought he was joining up with Rage & Ruffy but he ended up hitting a super kick on both men and putting an end to the beatdown. MVP got a microphone and told Damien to bring a message to his brother Drake…he’ll be waiting to beat him again to win the series even though he was awarded the “W” tonight. Damien told MVP he had a message from Drake and he kicked him in the gut and hit him with a powerbomb. Good night people.
Overall, I had a really fun time during the night watching some fine wrestling action. The crowd was loud and that makes for a better show. I’d gladly go back to another BTPW event. Speaking of which…the next one is May 11, 2013. Check it out if you’re in the area!