5/26/13. Montreal, QC. Battlewar 10. This was my first ever Battlewar show even though my friends have been trying to get me there for a while now. Let me just say…I was disappointed. Hell no I wasn’t! What a great event! Wow! Every match was great. There was something for everybody here. Well, maybe it’s more aimed toward a mature audience but who cares? I don’t want Rated PG all the time anyway! I’m familiar with most of the wrestlers that were on the card so I knew I was in for a treat. “Believe you me brudda” (Jimmy Snuka), they didn’t disappoint.
Just like the shows that C*4 puts on, I had to run away from my seat as the action spilled out over the ropes and onto the front row! Also, there was a lot of tag team matches…I love tag team matches! Anybody familiar with my write ups know I don’t call the matches, I just give who won and who lost along with some notes. That’s it. Enjoy! Here’s the results:
- Tank (Jae) Rukin (w/ Mike Paterson) def. Elektriko. This was my first time seeing Elektriko wrestle and I thought he did a decent job. Hard to beat Jae Rukin though. He’s called Tank Rukin here as he is part of the faction called The Tankmen that also has Cecil Nyx and Chaz Lovely in it. More about them later. During this match, The Green Phantom chased away Rukin’s manager Mike Paterson(who is quite the character in his own right!) This set the pace of the evening as it was a fast one. Way to open the show guys!
- “Speedball” Mike Bailey beat Player Uno. This was the “rubber match” between these guys as they each have a victory over each other. What can I say except “Holy @#%!” These guys tore the house down! I actually wanted it to go another twenty minutes it was so good. Move after move after counter move, this had it all. This is the reason I watch Indy wrestling! This is it. I can’t say enough about Uno & Bailey so I’ll end it here.
- 3.0 (Scott “Jagged” Parker & Shane Matthews) def. The Tankmen (Cecil Nyx & “Charming” Chaz Lovely).This started with all three members of The Tankmen beating down 3.0 and it looked liked it was going to be an easy victory for The Tankmen until The Green Phantom made an appearance and chased away Jae Rukin. I think both of these teams are great. I also think I’ve seen Cecil & Chaz together as a team at every event I’ve been to in Canada! The first time I saw 3.0 was in Syracuse, NY for 2CW. The last time was at National Pro Wrestling Day in Philly and I watched as my friend recorded an interview with them conducted by the famous or is that infamous Bill Apter from Pro Wrestling Illustrated lore. You want to see fantastic tag action, these are the ones to watch. Great stuff.
- “Cowboy” Giant Tiger beat Ryan Rogan. The back story to this match is somebody stole Tiger’s barbecue and he has an idea it was somebody on the Battlewar roster. Well, I don’t know if Rogan stole it or not but he got beat anyway. I’m used to seeing Tiger billed as the “Real” Vanessa Kraven in C*4 so it was nice to see him out of that gimmick. I always enjoy him. At one point during the match, Tiger missed a move (obviously intentionally)when Rogan was on the ropes and got caught up and fell on his ass and it struck me as one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen!! I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. Ah, Giant Tiger…you’re the best!
- The Rock N’ Roid Express (Twiggy & Franky The Mobster) def. RD Evans & Union Jack. I wasn’t familiar with RD Evans before this night. However, I was familiar with some of his “alter egos”. You might be too. Ever hear of Archibald Peck? Mixed Martial Archie? I thought so. Union Jack was a guy in a mask with a British accent. Or was that Canadian? Whichever. This was another entertaining contest that had me laughing. Put Twiggy (who is microphone gold) and big Franky together and you’ll have that. I appreciated the way Ring Announcer and former wrestler Beef Wellington called Franky “his very intimidating partner” or something like that…Franky is scary! Good thing he has a sense of humor! The start of this was a little unusual to say the least. Twiggy told Franky that his nipples were hard. This lead to him pinching one. OK, that’s not so bad. What is bad is some guy in the crowd decided to lift up his shirt and pinch his own nipples! I didn’t need to see that! Thankfully, Franky grabbed a piece of duct tape and went over to the fan and forcefully stuck it on his chest hair! RIP!! What followed was everyone trying to stay away from a piece of duct tape with chest hair stuck to it. UGH! The actual wrestling in this match was top notch though even involving Franky throwing his opponents up onto the stage behind the ring. What a beast! Another fun time was the “chicken fight”. Gotta have one of those! Fun. After the match, 3.0 came out and Franky and Shane Matthews had some words which led to Franky knocking down Scott Parker by accident. Looks like we have a match for Battlewar 11!
- Tabarnak de Team (Matthieu St. Jacques & Thomas Dubois) beat Radioactive Wave (Travis Toxic & “Surfer” Mitch Thompson.This was a great 2 Out Of 3 Falls Match! I always speak very highly about the TdT and I’ve always enjoyed seeing Toxic in the ring too. I’ve only seen Mitch on one other occasion and he is a fantastic wrestler! I’m looking forward to seeing him again soon. Did I mention this was a great match? So much hard hitting action! I was nervous to sit down after the first time I had to jump out of my chair during this one! Awesome.
- “Dirty” Buxx Belmar beat “Superstar” Shayne Hawke. I’ve had the opportunity or to see both of these guys but never to this extent. Maybe for Buxx but definitely not Hawke. He really impressed me. They beat the crap out of each other during this one and I loved every second of it! While outside the ring, they were throwing themselves into everything available…even a row of fans! Buxx just grabbed Hawke and smashed into some fans! When does this ever happen? Ha! Such an exciting ending to an exciting evening.
I will be going to see Battlewar again in the future! You should too!!! Here’s what’s next. Sunday, July 28th for an outdoor show and Sunday, August 4th. See you there?