12/7/13. Greely, Ontario. Acclaim’s last event of 2013. Despite the cold temperatures there was a pretty good crowd and it was an entertaining show. Here’s the results:
- “Superstar” Shayne Hawke beat Cecil Nyx. This was a Submission Match to determine the #1 Contender to the APW Championship. I got there just before the event started so I was making my way to my seat after getting my usual two beers and I was stopped by Cecil Nyx looking for a high five. Trying not to spill a drop, I daringly put one beer on the floor and proceeded to fulfill the guy’s request. Anyway, if you’ve been watching wrestling long enough than you’ve probably heard of “The Living Legend” Larry Zbyszko. Among the many things he’s accomplished in the business, he’s also known for his ability to make the crowd go absolutely bonkers by taking a very long time to get the match started. This is commonly referred to as the “Zbyszko Stall”. I believe I’ve seen his replacement in Shayne Hawke and I loved every second of it! The fans were so upset that when Cecil held Hawke in front of a youngster, he nailed him the gut! Both of these guys always do a really good job in the ring and this was no different. Hawke got the win and called out APW Champ Damien The Barbarian. Not one to back down from a fight, Damien came out only to get jumped by both Hawke and Sh*tty. Then all hell broke loose as Myzery The Barbarian made the save! At least we know what the main event will be.
- Harley “Big Daddy” Davison def. CJ Felony. Let me start by saying that I respect professional wrestlers. It’s not for everybody and the ones who do it are to be commended. That doesn’t mean I have to like everybody though does it? I mean, I can respect a person and shake hands with them but not necessarily like their ring work right? As one fan in the crowd commented, “If you’ve seen one Harley match…you’ve seen them all!” I’ll leave it at that. Felony, to be blunt, out wrestled him but still came up short in this match featuring three inverted atomic drops which made the same fan yell out, “You’re beating him back to ten years old!” Good one! We also saw a well placed superkick but the finish came after a stunner from Harley. Decent match but nothing new. I do like CJ though. Next.
- Jae Rukin def. Shooter Storm. The 6’9″ & 487lb. Shooter Storm returns after his time in Florida. I was happy to see him because I think he does a great job in the ring. His height and weight may be a little exaggerated but he had something to prove to the people of Greely. Unfortunately, his opponent was a very talented and accomplished Jae Rukin. I admit I saw him earlier in the day at a showcase from the guys (and girl!) from C*4 and he really has come out of his shell and has a real personality! He also gets credit from me because he did what not enough pro’s do and that was an ATOMIC DROP! Man, I miss those. Rukin gets the win.
- Sexxxy Eddy & “Charming” Chaz Lovely beat The Axemen (Decker Leduc & Bret Macleod), Static Shock (Ray Static & KL Shock) & “Big Shug” Shaun MacMillan & “Commander” Rick Sniper. This was a “Survivor Type Match”. Eddy & Chaz gave a poor defenseless woman in the crowd and lap dance before hitting the ring and they were followed out by the Axemen. Static Shock was next out and the vocal fan loudly proclaimed, “This match just went to s*it!” Here’s the order of elimination : 1.) Shug after a “Timber!” from Decker. 2.) Bret by Sniper after a chokeslam. 3.)Sniper by Shock after a nut shot and roll up. 4.) Shock by Chaz after a small package. The ring announcer made it official by stating “KL Shock has been eliminated…Thank God!” HAHA! 5.) Steele by Chaz and it was announced as “Steele finally eliminated!” 6.) Decker by Eddy after a high cross body by Eddy, a swanton bomb from Chaz, and finally a split legged moonsault from Eddy. The best team won although Eddy suffered a broken tooth during the match. Somehow I don’t think that kept the ladies away at all. Fun time.
- Vanessa Kraven & The Homeless Hunks (Deeno & Cheeky) def. Jodi D’Milo, She Nay Nay & Portia Perez. This inter-gender match had all sorts of action during it including a flapjack (!!) by She and Portia on Deeno, a high cross body from Deeno onto all three women and ending with a double choke slam by “The Mountain” Kraven on She and Portia and piling the Hunks on top of them for the pin. I laughed after She would grab one of the Hunks in a hold she would wipe her hands on her pants because, well, the Hunks are homeless! Fun match with some good action.
- APW Inter-Provincial Champion “MVP” Michael Von Payton def. Payne “The Hellraizer”. In my opinion, this was the match of the night. MVP is the “Go To Guy” as I always say and Payne is well, Payne!! The match started and MVP said Payne couldn’t wrestle. After a series of moves including three hip tosses in a row, MVP changed his mind. Usually MVP is the biggest man in the ring but not this night. Here’s a list of impressive moves that followed: a pump handle backbreaker by MVP, then he tried another one which Payne reversed into a kneckbreaker, superkick by MVP, a spinebuster by Payne followed by a missed moonsault from the big man and finally a full nelson slam. Damn good match! Afterward, both men shook hands. I could tell Payne hated to do it but the crowd egged him on until he delivered not one but two package piledrivers to the referee! AWESOME!! On a side note, MVP wrestled earlier in the day…three times! He was also suffering from a week and a half long illness that caused him shortness of breath. RESPECT.
- “Superstar” Shayne Hawke & Sh*tty beat APW Champion Damien The Barbarian & Myzery The Barbarian. This one started outside the ring as one would expect with all four men beating on each other. I popped for an old school airplane spin by Damien on Hawke! Finally, the action went inside. Fine double team move from the Barbarians as Damien landed a double boot stomp followed by a Tenta splash by Myzery. I thought Hawke was killed by a clothesline from hell by Myzery! Not so as afterward Myzery gave him an abdominal stretch/thumb in the ass followed by a rusty fishhook (look it up). Ugh. The end came as Damien hit a gut wrench power bomb on Sh*tty but Hawke grabbed his legs and sat on them for the pin. Fine main event! As Myzery walked by I told him to go wash his hands…he smelled his thumb. Ha!
Really fun show to end 2013 for Acclaim Pro Wrestling. I’m glad I decided to make the trip up. I look forward to the next time. Their next show is on Sat. Jan. 15, 2014 called “New Year’s Wrestle-ution”. Check them out!