2CW or Squared Circle Wrestling is an Independent based out of Syracuse, NY that has been around since 2006. They are what an Indy should be. For each show they usually get a “Legend” or two, a couple big names from the Indy circuit (ROH mostly), and their own homegrown talent. The first show that I attended was in April of 2010 and what drew me to them was hearing that the main event featured Jerry “The King” Lawler. Sold! I’ve been to 13 shows so far with no end in sight. Anyway, Highway To Hell(from Watertown, NY) originally was supposed to have “Big Sexy” Kevin Nash in the main event but he had to cancel for whatever excuse he could come up with on that day. Demolition was quickly announced and that was even better for me. Let’s get to the matches!
- Pepper Parks def. Cheech. This was a very good opening match. Pepper had pretty much the loudest screams, from little girls, that I have ever heard. Cheech is always good but came up short. Just a straight ahead, good wrestling match.
- Isys Ephex def. “Juggernaut” Jason Axe. The stipulations of the match were if Isys Ephex wins, he receives a title match at the next event the following night. I’ve seen Isys at very 2CW show that I’ve been to and I still can’t figure out his gimmick. I had one fan say to me “that’s his gimmick”. I may never know. These two have had some of the bloodiest matches that I’ve ever seen live. I’m talking Get The Mop! This one on the other hand was kind of tame. During this, the bottom rope snapped which always sends the ring crew scrambling. Decent outing.
- Strive To Survive Match: (Springate’s Squad) Captain: Zaquary Springate III, Colin Delaney, Sean Carr, Kage, & Loca Vida vs. (Milan’s Militia) Captain: Matt Milan (w/Bin Hamin), “Muscle” Marcos, “Supercop” Dick Justice, Pete D. Order, & Eric M. Timmons. This match had some of the homegrown talent at it’s wacky finest. Supercop, Order, and EMT are 3, uh, larger individuals that are at every show for a reason…they are awesome to watch! I love those guys! Marcos is a little guy, I mean strongman that comes to the ring with a shake-weight. ZS3 was trained by “Killer” Kowalski and he trains a lot of the Indy talent around. Some may remember Colin Delaney from WWECW …the WWE‘s version of ECW. He was the guy that was with Tommy Dreamer that kept getting his ass beat every week. He bills himself as the “Extremely Cute Wrestler”. He likes beer. Loca Vida hails from Mexico, NY and he’s a high flying luchadore. This was your basic 10-Man Elimination match with Matt Milan beating ZSIII at the end. The ring crew finished fixing the bottom rope during this match.
- “Slyck” Wagner Brown beat Masada. They don’t get much tougher than these two. I didn’t care who won this match as I like them both. Masada is a CZW regular and their current Champion. SWB was also trained by “Killer” Kowalski and has wrestled just about everywhere. Hard-hitting matchup. I’m waiting for the return match.
- 2CW Tag Team Champions: The Super Smash Brothers(Player Uno & Player Dos) def. Sami Callihan & Rich Swann ,er, The Super Smash Brothers(Sami Uno & Rich Dos). I can’t even describe how much I enjoyed this. The SSB’s are a staple in the Ontario scene so I was familiar with them before 2CW brought them in. Sami & Rich don’t even need any introductions. They came out wearing the SSB’s other colored tights. They proceeded to tear the house down and make everybody laugh. If they weren’t doing the mirror image gimmick (remember Doink?), they were confused as to who their partners were. One great line was from Player Dos as he said to the other Player Dos(Swann), “Of course I knew what you were going to do…you’re me!” Sami had his mask taken off and the whole place popped! I’m not exactly sure why as he was advertised for the match and was also signing autographs before the show. Oh well, he deserves it. Such a great match and such a great time!!
- “The Lariat” D.J. Hyde from CZW got into the ring and made an open challenge. The challenge was answered by The Afterparty! These two are Cecil Nyx and “Charming” Chaz Lovely. I’ve already written about them in Ontario reviews. They weren’t advertised and this was also their 2CW debut. They got their backsides handed to them. Hyde at one point told the crowd, “Shhhh” and gave Chaz a very hard, very audible head-butt! Holy crap! Both men bled the hard way. Your winner needless to say was D.J. Hyde.
- Women’s Match: Cherry Bomb beat Addy Starr. Both of these ladies are on the Ontario Indy circuit so I was familiar with them both. I’ve seen Addy on two different cards before but this was my first time seeing Cherry. These ladies didn’t hold back and put on a wrestling match that no “Divas” could equal. They were chopping each other harder than any Ric Flair chops I’ve heard! All that and they’re nice to look at too!
- Demolition(Ax & Smash) def. The Killer Steve’s(Kruz & McKenzie) & “Punisher” VanSlyke & Kevin Graham. Demolition was one of my favorite tag teams ever. There, I said it. I just thought they were a Road Warriors ripoff when the WWF first introduced them but they earned my respect as well as countless others people’s. This was worth the price of admission alone just to see the double beat down which was a Demolition staple. The ending had Pun & Graham getting pinned by both teams however the Steve’s weren’t the legal team in and the Demos get the win. Good one. Man I miss the “good old days”!
- Watertown native Jay Freddie came out on crutches to a thunderous applause. This was his first appearance since suffering a knee injury in October. During his in-ring promo, “Mr Wrestling” Kevin Steen came out to badmouth Freddie and he proceeded to rip a crutch from his hands. This brought out Steen’s opponent for the evening…Spike Dudley!
- 2CW Heavyweight Title Match: The champ and Spike beat on each other throughout the entire match, at one point Spike even jumped off of a camper(yes camper) onto Steen! After that happened, Steen powerbombed Spike through a table off the ring apron! The way things were going, I thought Spike was going to win the belt. I was wrong. “Juggernaut” Jason Axe came out and hit Spike with a chair. Steen put him away after that. Your winner and still 2CW Heavyweight Champion “Mr. Wrestling” Kevin Steen!
Two side notes from tonight: 1.)Smash remembered my name at the end of the show after signing a Krusher Krushev autograph for me at the beginning of the night…very impressive memory! 2.)Sami Callihan should be called the “Selling Machine” as he got me to buy a t-shirt and a DVD! Overall, another fantastic showing from the entire roster of 2CW. 2CW‘s next show in Watertown is going to be their first iPPV entitled “Living On The Edge VIII” on April 20, 2013. They announced two of the matches tonight. “Death Machine” Sami Callihan vs. Matt Hardy! Also “Die Hard” Eddie Edwards vs. John Morrison! They put the tickets on sale during intermission and of course I got my front row ticket! This will be awesome!